Thursday, January 1, 2009

Happy New Year!

It's been an interesting end & start.

Have been in turmoil personally at the end of this year - my husband's grandmother is seriously ill. She is the last grandparent I have. All 4 of my grandparents are gone, as are my parents. She has been a part of my life for over 18 years. I struggle with her being physically at peace and her still being an active presence in our lives. And should she leave this earth soon, getting back for everything is now more complicated than it once was. I hate that I have laid in bed worrying about something so trivial, but I have. It makes me feel very shallow. I am also ready to shake the dust of at least the last 6 months off my feet and tread new ground in 2009. Hubby took command of a squadron back in July and there has been much turbulence in the office. Lots of very stressed out & tired folks. Here's hoping that 2009 will be different!

On a good note, to end the year, I feel like I have built some wonderful relationships in my husband's squadron (both spouses and the military members). I have a very nurturing personality (Can I cook for you? Do you need someone to talk to? ) and I have been a regular face in the office and often come bearing baked goods! And so far my offerings have not been refused! :-) And on a good note to start the new year? Went out on the town with some wonderful friends last night and rang in the New Year. It was awesome. I refer to my friend Kelly as "Julie the cruise director!" She gets me out of the house and into something fun. I guess another good start would be that the Nebraska Cornhuskers beat Clemson in the Gator Bowl. 10 years ago if you would have told me that I would be a Husker fan, I would have laughed you off the planet. I despised the Huskers! But once we moved to the Omaha area, we slowly grew to enjoy them. I know that alot of it has to do with the people there. We made some life changing relationships there. Those folks there are family and what they loved we grew to love. I think our hearts are still in Omaha!

And unfortunately that makes establishing roots somewhere else nearly impossible. I want to develope relationships, but they are tainted by my feelings of "cheating" on my Omaha friends. In fact, 2 dear friends (one of which was my former pastor's wife) from Omaha came to San Antonio so that we could all go see Beth Moore together. Well we were planning on joining a local church, but I refused to join the weekend they were there because it would have felt like I was washing my hands of them. Is that stupid or what?

Well, today begins my first full year here in Texas. May I be aware and accepting of the opportunitues that await me!

Peace to all who read,
Lonnie

No comments:

Post a Comment