Sunday, August 16, 2009

Some real enlightenment - for me, anyway...

Many times I have wanted to post to my Facebook: Lonnie Orphan Gibson wishes things were different. For a variety of things, really. Not just for the better, just different. And then God shows up and shows me "different." And then I again become grateful for what I have and not for I wish I had.

We experienced that today. I/we have battled with decisions on how to treat our son's ADHD - Do we medicate him more? Do we medicate him less? Medicate him at all? Allow the school to "classify" him as such, thereby giving him some special help... Today I saw a family that is dealing with more than any 10 families together should ever have to deal with. God showed us what "different" looked like through the eyes of another parent. When we got home today, both Steve & I were speechless. How could we ever deal with all the pain and challenges this family has to deal with? And there is more to the challanges than just the child. This family is swallowed up in medical and "other" struggles. But I did not see this as God saying "See how bad you could have it???" Because I don't think God deals with us in those terms. I think He said to me,"Lonnie, this is what different could be."

Back when Steve was sick, I wanted it to be different. But if it had been different, I might have missed my "slow dance" with God. You know the one... where the spot light is on you. You are the only two out there on the dance floor and He holds you close like you were the only person in the world. He leads and you are swept off your feet...you feel like your floating. Gee, when you put it like that, who in their right mind would pass that up??? "Uh, no thanks, God. I need to go to Wal-mart." But God did not ask me if I wanted my husband to have cancer...He asked me if I wanted to dance. And we did.

As I look at the news and watch all that is happening, I wish things were different. I hate all the political ugliness. It comes from both sides. No one is immune to it. Democrat, Republican, white, black, old, young, men , women. But because of all this ugliness, I firmly believe that more people are on their knees for America than ever before. Why does it always take a crisis??? This week the Lord spoke to me about this in 1 Peter 2: 13-17: Make the Master proud of you by being good citizens. Respect the authorities, whatever their level; they are God's emissaries for keeping order. It is God's will that by doing good, you might cure the ignorance of the fools who think you're a danger to society. Exercise your freedom by serving God, not by breaking the rules. Treat everyone you meet with dignity. Love your spiritual family. Revere God. Respect the government. Who says the Bible isn't relevent??? Or timely??

Peace (& slow dancing) to all who read...

No comments:

Post a Comment