Monday, August 10, 2009

Gee...times flies when you are being Super Mom...

Not!

Time flies when the kids are out for summer and you want to make the most of your summer vacation. Isn't that what being a stay-at-home mom is about? Doesn't one choose this life so that they can make memories with their children? Keep them safe and be there to help them make better choices? At least that is what the surveys tell us. But I know some stay home because financially it makes more sense. Some folks make just enough to cover the child care costs and put a wee bit back in their pockets. It's those folks that have decisions to make. Is the extra cash worth it...

The kids and I have had a blast this summer! Six Flags, SeaWorld, the movies, the swimming pool... And I am exhausted! I thank God every morning that I have this chance. I have awesome children and we have so much fun together. The 4 of us could ride down the SeaWorld's Lazy River (and the Six Flags equivalent) all day just hanging on to each other's tubes and relaxing. How many other folks can say that they feel the closest to God at an amusement park???

I didn't mean for my blogging to go by the wayside.... In fact, I thought about it often. But I guess this gives those folks who were just reading and looking at the train wreck (i.e. Steve's cancer - he's fine now, thanks!) a chance to move on. And it you have had the patience to wait out my sabbatical and are still with me, I hope that you will hold me accountable for my thoughts and prayers.

My quiet time has not been the best this summer. I allowed my "busy" schedule with the kids get in the way. And the fact that have not been involved in a bible study this summer. But then my pastor preached on having a Twitter relationship with God and our lack of spending quality time with the one person many say is THE most important person in our lives. So, I started getting back up around 6am, fixed my coffee and sat in my chair with my Bible and started reading random books in the New Testament. The little ones - 1st & 2nd Thess., Philippians and the like. I am now on James. I joked in my SS class that I felt like I was going thru someone's mail! And dear Ms Lana said, "Exactly!" :-) These books have really spoken to me.

Especially now. Steve & I are at a crossroads. A career one... And we are both pretty much on the same page, but are we together on the RIGHT page. We both feel that our time on the road is coming to a close. Our kids are older and what we do now really affects them socially and even more importantly, scholastically. If we follow the AF we will be in and around the DC area next year. If the kids were younger, I think we would be okay with it. But neither of us has EVER wished to live there and after chatting with a number of folks that have "escaped" the area, I am even more convinced that it is not what our family needs. Right now, we are really being pulled to go back to Omaha - for many reasons, really. We also feel a pull back to Colorado Springs. Both assignments would have us going back to churches we loved, friends we loved, and the reality of a retirement job there. Omaha has one thing that C-Springs doesn't - closer proximity to family. But to go back to Omaha may be the nail in Steve's military coffin. Colorado Springs would keep that alive a while longer. My prayer for the last several weeks has been for God's will. Really. But my second prayer has been the desire of my heart - to settle down and put down roots...to retire. And my third prayer has been for it to be in Omaha. In that order.

And yesterday God gave my some scripture that has helped tremendously.

Matthew 6:34 "Give your entire attention to what God is doing right now, and don't get worked up about what may or may not happen tomorrow. God will help you deal with whatever hard things come up when the time comes." The Message He has used the Message translation many times to speak to me.

Steve is currently submitting a package to apply to be an AF ROTC Commander at a college. One of the colleges that should be available next summer is Univ. Of NE at Omaha. So many things and people that will be important in this process are people or things from Steve's past. He has so many connections to the process. It all looked too good to be true. And I prayed for clarity in all of this. Everyday there was something new... Just a few examples - Steve's former Group Commander has some type of leadership role in the ROTC selection process. The UNO det. mascot is the Wolfpack! Just like his current squadron. He knows the current commander of this ROTC det. To be selected as an ROTC commander there is some 'campaigning' to be done. And Steve has some wonderful people in his corner, so it has been hard not to get our hopes up. But then... Steve called the squadron to talk to the current commander - he was on leave. But his second in command mentioned something about the current commander extending his command by a year. Not good.

This is why the above mentioned scripture has become so important to me. I am so worried and worked up over all this when I can attest to personally witnessing God making changes for our good. I guess I just needed a reminder. Thanks for your reminder (and your patience with me), God.

Peace to all who read...

2 comments:

  1. Lonnie, I'm happy you've decided to start posting to your blog again. I will keep you and Steve in my prayers for what is coming next in your future.
    It's a distant love, but it's still a sincere family love... Wendy

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm happy, too to have you back in blogland. Know that we will be praying for you and Steve as well.

    ReplyDelete